Friday, February 23, 2007

Postage Stamp of the Week: Alfred Hitchcock

Good eeeevening.

Or good morning, good afternoon, or good whenever you happen to be reading this. I don't care.

I tossed out Alfred Hitchcock -- subject of this 1998 stamp -- as my favorite director when asked for one during my video store job interview. It's not like he's my far-and-away all-time favorite, but I can't think of any other director who's made more movies that I truly dig. F'rinstance, Rear Window has long been one of my absolute all-time, ten-star faves, and it became that much more dear to me when Eliza and I saw it on our first date.

Hitchcock never won an Oscar™, but maybe on Sunday, Scorsese finally will. I've seen all of this year's Best Picture™ nominees, save for The Queen. If it wins, I'll feel obligated to see that one too. (God help us all if Little Miss Shitpants wins.) I've made a point of seeing every Best Picture™ released during my lifetime, from 1969's Midnight Cowboy onward (I have no plans to see 1968's Oliver!). Overall I've seen 61 of the 78 movies to win Best Picture™ thus far. The only Hitchcock-directed film to receive the award was 1940's Rebecca, which, ironically, didn't do much for me.

No Best Picture™ nominations went to my original Movies of the Year! Movies of the Year!™, nor to this amended list:

1. Borat: Culural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan
2. Wordplay
3. Jackass Number Two
4. Half Nelson
5. An Inconvenient Truth
6. Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
7. Little Children
8. Friends with Money
9. loudQUIETloud: A Film About the Pixies
10. United 93

If it ain't Scottish, it's crap.™
***

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home