Thursday, October 18, 2007

Steve's Autographs #4: Reggie Jackson

It was 30 years ago tonight that Reggie Jackson hit three home runs on three consecutive pitches in the series-winning Game Six of the 1977 World Series. Mr. October's feat at the berserk Yankee Stadium was the first truly historic sports moment that I recall seeing on live TV.

Though each homer came off the first pitch Jackson faced from three different Dodger pitchers, none of the pitchers was Don Sutton. Still, that's who I drew in this sketch of Jackson smacking homer number three, 'cause I liked the way Sutton's perm poofed out under his cap. (The arrow points at Rejjy Reggy Reggie, who clearly stepped out of the batter's box on the play.) My dad mailed Jackson the drawing, which I suppose I meant as a gift, but Reggie autographed it and mailed it back.

Here's video of the homers, part of a TV commercial for the subsequent Reggie Bar... Reg-gie! Reg-gie!

1 Comments:

At 4:26 PM, November 20, 2007 , Blogger Unknown said...

Steve -- This is absolutely hysterical! Did you eat Reggie bars, too?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home