Saturday, June 27, 2009

Kenny Fucking Powers!

Instant classic: Eastbound & Down. I watched the first season last night and laughed my ass off.

Kenny's baseball career ended after pitching for the generic "Seattle" team, presumably because the Mariners wouldn't authorize their brand to be associated with a foul-mouthed, steroid-shooting, coke-addled, dog-fighting, alcoholic, racist, homophobic, misogynistic egomaniac. At least not a fictional one.

Of local interest: In one scene, Kenny reminisces, "You should see my fuckin' cookouts, man. When I was back in Seattle, I had the goddamn Spoonman from the Soundgarden videos comin' to my shit. Oh yeah, I’m talkin' six grills burnin' at all times, tiki torches, three whole pigs, fuckin' shitloads of macaroni and cheeses, baked potatoes, collard greens, a horse, fuckin' Puerto Rican chicks showin' their pussies and tits off everywhere. They were amazing!"

In real life, another guy named Kenny Powers attempted a mile-long jump across the St. Lawrence Seaway, from Canada into the United States, in a rocket-powered Lincoln Continental. I wrote about his doomed 1979 jump in my review of the documentary The Devil at Your Heels, here. Also, you can watch the jump in this video, starting at the 1:15 mark.

Kenny fucking Powers!

3 Comments:

At 8:04 PM, June 27, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're fuckin' out!!

 
At 5:44 PM, July 02, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kickass. In the queueueueue.

-jp

 
At 8:03 PM, July 20, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm fuckin' in!!

-jp

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home