Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Coney Island Baby

Day two in New York began in Greenwich Village at the New Era store, where they had these bitchin' little cat-sized hats (sadly, not for sale). The M's cap above is a 4-1/4" size; I had to settle for a 7-3/4" Tigers lid.

Then I went down to Coney Island, where I saw the Parachute Jump...

...the Cyclone...

...and had a hot dog from Nathan's...

Though the Warriors are long-gone, Coney Island is still vaguely seedy. Things were mostly boarded up for the off-season, and there wasn't a whole lot of activity. But that's fine, 'cause I'm not a big fan of amusement park rides.

I moved on to the former site of the Ebbets Field, now a giant apartment complex...

Forgot to mention that after Monday's Yankee game, I crossed over the Harlem River to check out the former Polo Grounds site. It's now public housing, so I kept my distance, figuring it wasn't in my best interest actually venture into the complex. Here's what it looks like...

Anyway, always good to see the Unisphere up in Queens...

Where I also met Mr. Met...

Here's the original Mr. Met, enshrined in CitiField's Mets museum...

CitiField, the 22nd current Major League park where I've attended a game, was for the most part pretty cool. Certainly better than Yankee Stadium, but I didn't like it as much as Safeco and some others. I bought a Mets T-shirt.

Today we took the train down to D.C., where I'll hit at least one Nats game.
***

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 8:50 PM, April 21, 2010 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Warriors, come out and play!

-jp

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home