Monday, May 02, 2011

It Was 25 Years Ago Today: Expo '86 Opens

For awhile there, the Northwest hosted a World's Fair every dozen years: Seattle's Century 21 Exposition in 1962, then Spokane's Expo '74, and finally Vancouver's Expo '86, which opened 25 years ago today. Though I was alive for the latter two, I didn't go to either one (for that matter, I haven't been to any World's Fairs). But Expo '86 was the first one I was at least conscious of, though about all I remember was Jean Enersen's live reports.

Expo Ernie was the mascot (image found here)...

And here's the temporary monorail...

When I was in Vancouver in February I found this time capsule...

Many celebrities attended the star-studded fair, including Archie and his pals...

For more, check out this fan site.
***

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 2:59 PM, May 25, 2011 , Blogger One said...

My mom took me to Expo '86. I mainly wanted to see the skateboard exhibition which included Tony Hawk, Hosoi, Steve Caballero and some other skateboard stars of the day.

http://vancouverisawesome.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/radical-moves-cover.jpg

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home