Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Southern Accents

A couple more shots from Atlanta: above, Hank Aaron's 715th home run marker in the Turner Field parking lot; below, a view from the lounge atop the Peachtree Plaza Hotel (click to enlarge, if you want to sorta see the ballpark in the middle distance)...

Sunday I picked up a rental car and motored toward Washington, where yesterday I met up with Eliza at her parents' house, and where we've been ever since. On the drive north I spotted Mr. Waffle (have since been punching myself in the face that I didn't stop to eat there) as well as Crazy Steve's, both in South Carolina...

In North Carolina I took in my first-ever International League game, watching the Durham Bulls clobber the Gwinnett Braves, 18-7. Here's a big bull sign above the stadium's "Blue Monster"...

I dined at Waffle House and spent the night at a Holiday Inn, both in Raleigh. (The Carolinas mark the 41st and 42nd states I've visited, leaving only Alabama, Iowa, Louisiana, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota and Vermont.)

Yesterday, just before dropping off the car in Arlington, Virginia, I had a half-smoke at Weenie Beenie...

Then today in D.C. I had another half-smoke at Ben's Chili Bowl, where Ben's widow Virginia complimented me on my Nationals cap!

Orioles/Twins Thursday.
***

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home