Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Happy 50th, Monorail!

The Seattle Monorail hit the big five-oh on Saturday.

Eliza and I lined up early Saturday morning at the Westlake Station ticket window to get our free commemorative medallions, then we rode the blue train to Seattle Center for the festivities: an Elvis impersonator, a table with some vintage memorabilia (brochures, toys, etc.), 50th-anniversary souvenirs (we bought a poster, and Eliza got a T-shirt), some guest speakers, and this eighth-grade kid demonstrated his new monorail video game. We also got to tour the service bays below the trains at the station. Pretty cool.

For the occasion, I scanned in my circa '62 Seattle Monorail booklet (above) and uploaded it as a flickr set -- incidentally, this brings my entire flickr collection to exactly 1,000 images.

The monorail's birthday is the first of what will be many 50th-anniversary celebrations of the 1962 Seattle World's Fair, which I'm planning to fully commemorate myself -- stay tuned.
***

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home