Thursday, March 01, 2007

Crossword Report: February '07

Rabbit rabbit!

Compared to January, in which I solved 72 puzzles, I solved three more puzzles in February (75), in month with three fewer days (um, 28!).

Other than my annual subscription to the New York Times crossword, my main resource is scrounging newspapers discarded at area coffee shops. Unfortunately, my closest, most-regular spot has become a bit too efficient at clearing papers from their store and disposing them in areas inaccessible to customers. However, two other coffee shops within walking distance usually have ample newspapers lying around, and I keep telling myself I should patronize those places more often. Most Starbucks are fairly rich with used newspapers too, and I've also been known to rifle through the recycling bins on ferryboats and at Burgermaster. I know, I'm a cheapskate, but this is far more environmentally righteous than subscribing to several daily papers.

Crosswords in Pop Culture:

The Freshman (1924).
Eleven years after the world's first crossword appeared in the New York World, this silent classic features a scene in which Harold Lloyd helps a pretty girl with her crossword. Lloyd, seated next to the girl on a train's dining car, is drawn into her “Evening at Home Crossword Puzzle.” Like the spaghetti-eating dogs in Lady and the Tramp, they're oblivious to one another as they're both hypnotized by the puzzle, until they hit a mutual moment of recognition. A title card quotes Harold: "I think I know the word for number 19 vertical -- 'a name for one you love.'" The two toss possible answers back and forth: sweetheart, darling, dearest, precious, honeybunch. An older woman at the next table comments, "Isn't it wonderful to be in love?" An embarrassed Lloyd stampedes his way out of the car.

King of the Hill (February 17, 2002).
In the episode "Torch Song Hillogy," Hank has become a minor local celebrity after being selected to carry the Olympic torch through Arlen, and so his name appears in the Arlen Bystander's crossword. A fan asks Hank to autograph it.

The Office (2005-present).
In the series's American version, the character Stanley is often seen doing crosswords as a distraction from the workplace dysfunction surrounding him. I don't recall a British equivalent of Stanley in the original UK series, but if there was one he'd surely be doing cryptic crosswords.

Crossword Report: January '07
Total crosswords solved in February 2007: 75
Total crosswords solved in 2007: 147
On pace to solve in 2007: 909
***

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 10:03 PM, March 12, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"SteveMandich.com: Enviromentally Righteous Since 2007." (TM)

-jp

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home