Tuesday, February 08, 2011

We Hardly Knew Ye: The White Stripes

I'm a few days late with this, but Jack and his sister/ex-wife Meg have officially broken up the act.

I first became aware of them while they were riding low on De Stijl, when I sorta saw 'em play an in-store set at Fallout on June 17, 2000 (the joint was jammed, so I stood out on the sidewalk). Beforehand, Jack stormed past me down Olive Way, looking like a man on a rock 'n' roll mission, while Meg sat forlornly against the storefront, smoking a cigarette. A few years later, while they were riding high on Elephant, I saw them play the infinitely larger Stadium Exhibition Hall, on September 16, 2003. However, I was more impressed with openers Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

"Seven Nation Army" has since become a jock jam (I heard an organ rendition of it at tonight's Canucks game), but their best song (as well as best video, directed by Michel Gondry) remains "Fell in Love With a Girl"...



Jack'll do fine, having played with the Raconteurs and Beck and Dead Weather, and producing comeback albums by Loretta Lynn and Wanda Jackson. And since he's apparently all chummy with Mick & Keith (see his Loving Cup cameo in Shine a Light), he's rumored to be producing the Stones in the approximate future...

Dunno what'll happen with underrated and oft-maligned Meg, but wishing her the best.
***

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home