Friday, March 02, 2007

Postage Stamp of the Week: America's Libraries

Did I mention my intent to eventually visit every public library in King County?

It wasn't anything I set out to do, until I started plundering various area libraries for iPod-worthy CDs, and at a certain point realized there were only a few that I hadn't been to. So far I've visited Seattle's Central Library (natch) and 19 of the 22 Seattle branches presently open (four other branches are closed for expansion or renovation). Besides the two Renton Libraries (both of which I've visited), the other 43 libraries in the county are operated by the King County Library System (counting 'em up now, I'm surprised to find that I've been to only 15 of those -- apparently there are more than I first thought).

Besides finding plenty of cool stuff to check out (why buy a book when you can go to the library?), it's fun to compare 'n' contrast 'em all, often seeing places around the area that I wouldn't otherwise visit. In recent months Eliza and I have made a few Sunday outings to various outlying libraries, though we make a point to visit just as many unique thrift stores along the way.

My favorite library, however, is the 81-year-old Suzzallo Library on the UW campus. I've spent countless hours over the last couple decades in its cathedral-like reading room, um, you know, reading, as well as writing, studying, solving crosswords, looking at the Internet, and occasionally sleeping. I still try to spend at least an evening or two there each month.

Anyway, this stamp's from '82. Knock yourself out.
***

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 3:04 PM, March 03, 2007 , Blogger Eliza said...

Nothing is better than the combination of thrift stores and libraries.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home