Things of the Year! Things of the Year!
1. Black Lips, Good Bad Not Evil
2. Detroit Cobras, Tied & True
3. Bruce Springsteen, Magic
4. King Khan & the Shrines, What Is?!
5. Stereo Total, Paris-Berlin
6. Dinosaur Jr., Beyond
7. White Stripes, Icky Thump
8. I'm Not There soundtrack
9. The New Pornographers, Challengers
10. Arcade Fire, Neon Bible
Notes: These are all good, but none of 'em killed. The Weirdness by the Stooges wins Stinker of the Year™.
Against Me!, "Thrash Unreal"
The Chesterfield Kings, "Up and Down"
Iron & Wine, "The Devil Never Sleeps"
Liars, "Freak Out"
Mudhoney, "I Like to Make Noise and Break Things"
Robert Plant & Alison Krauss, "Gone Gone Gone (Done Moved On)"
Patti Smith, "Changing of the Guards"
Yeah Yeah Yeahs, "Down Boy"
Notes: To avoid redundancy, these unassorted tunes don't include anything from the albums listed above... I also like the Plant/Krauss song's snappy video, but what I'd really like to see is a crucified Jesus "wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube man."
1. The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters
2. No Country for Old Men
3. The Simpsons Movie
4. 3:10 to Yuma
5. Ghost Rider
6. Hot Rod
7. Blades of Glory
8. Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters
9. Balls of Fury
Notes: I only saw 21 released-in-2007 movies this year. There are many more promising movies I've yet to see, so this list is far from complete.
1. Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan
2. The Office: Season Three
3. The Simpsons: The Complete Tenth Season
4. The Sergio Leone Anthology
5. Little Children
6. Two-Lane Blacktop
7. Deadwood: The Complete Third Season
8. Heart of the Game
9. Blades of Glory
10. Half Nelson
1. Our Dumb World: The Onion's Atlas of the Planet Earth
2. Zach Hample, Watching Baseball Smarter
3. Jim Walsh, The Replacements: All Over But the Shouting: An Oral History
4. Adrian Tomine, Shortcomings
5. Mark Ovenden, Transit Maps of the World
6. Steven J. Pickens, Ferries of Puget Sound
7. Stephen Colbert, I Am America (And So Can You!)
8. Ron Carlson, Five Skies
9. Kirby Arnold, Tales from the Mariners Dugout
10. Derek Zumsteg The Cheater’s Guide to Baseball
Notes: My favorite reads of the year actually came out before 2007, in particular: Peter Blackstock's Blackstock's Collection: The Drawings of an Artistic Savant, Michael Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, Douglas Coupland's Souvenir of Canada and Souvenir of Canada 2, Timothy Egan's The Good Rain, David Guterson's Snow Falling on Cedars, and especially Roger Kahn's The Boys of Summer.
It's a book-like compilation of 40 years of magazines presented in DVD format: Rolling Stone: Cover to Cover. I've barely scratched the surface of the tip of the iceberg, yet this is my single favorite, um, thing of the year.